We are looking for an experienced, driven product manager with B2B SaaS experience to drive cross-functional product initiatives that enable Appen customers to evaluate a broad range of products and services that rely on AI machine models across one or more data modalities (e.g., textual, image, video, audio).
In this role, you will enable the success of some of the most advanced and innovative software and hardware-based capabilities across a range of industries, working from the largest tech companies right down to small, innovative, and fast-moving start-ups. You will drive the implementation of feature sets that expand the value of the software industry’s #1 Data for AI solution.
High-quality AI training data necessarily requires human beings to record and transcribe speech, for example, or recognize the contents of complex images. Appen uses a crowdsourced model to engage humans at scale, while providing customers a framework to manage the cost, time, and complexity in producing human-annotated data sets. Appen relies on technology to accelerate and reduce the cost of humans preparing training data. It invests continuously in its crowd management and customer service platforms, leveraging its own in-house-developed machine-learning models as needed.
Appen’s strategy is built on four pillars:
- Growth: Drive revenue growth in target new markets
- Automation: Leverage AI and ML in labelling operations to improve the productivity and quality of customer outcomes
- Expand: Add new products and capabilities to expand into the broader data and AI market
- Evolve: Improve the scalability of our operations including sales, project delivery, and crowd management
Appen is continuing to invest in its Data for AI platform, fulfilling all customer AI needs (data sourcing, preparation, annotation, and automated testing of models) in building products and services across many industry verticals. Although Appen is a 26-year-old profitable company with considerable resources being invested in all areas, Appen matches the pace and innovative spirit of a start-up company that offers flexible work-life balance options.
Objectives and Responsibilities:
Your responsibilities will demand excellent communication skills, entrepreneurial instincts, data-driven decision making, and continuous evaluation of new business cases:
- Conduct domain research and competitive analysis
- Work across engineering, data science, user experience, customer delivery, crowd management, sales, and marketing teams to develop advanced prototypes, shipping platform features, production tooling, partner integrations and validation that customer needs are met end-to-end
- Propose new initiatives, backed by business cases, to management and obtain buy-in
- Own the roadmap for one or more assigned product areas, working in close collaboration with a global team of experienced Product Managers to align on a platform vision
- Work closely with key customers and partners to solicit, validate, and deliver product refinements
- Build reporting models for tracking feature adoption, customer results, data quality trends, and customer ROI to drive key internal decision making
- 2+ years of experience in product management
- 2+ years of experience delivering commercial software using an agile software development methodology
- Prior experience with AI/ML technologies preferred
- Experience with metric definition, quantifying problems, and managing impact over time
- Experience using data-driven analytics to gain insights on current situations, new opportunities, and product performance
- Experience working directly with engineering and UX leaders and managers to align business, technical, and user outcomes
Appen collects and labels images, text, speech, audio, video, and other data used to build and continuously improve the world’s most innovative artificial intelligence systems. Our expertise includes having a global crowd of over one million skilled contractors who speak over 180 languages and dialects, in over 70,000 locations and 130 countries, and the industry’s most advanced AI-assisted data annotation platform. Our reliable training data gives leaders in technology, automotive, financial services, retail, healthcare, and governments the confidence to deploy world-class AI products. Founded in 1996, Appen has customers and offices globally.
At Appen, we value performance, honesty, humility, and grit. We persevere and remain focused, whilst maintaining agility to achieve quality outcomes and exceed expectations. We are truth tellers – respectfully of course. We take accountability for our actions and believe in giving and receiving direct feedback. We give credit where credit is due and show gratitude to others for their contributions. We seek diverse perspectives as we recognize the value in teamwork and collaboration. Through grit, we take ownership, and we do not give up.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit talent-appen.icims.com.