Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals for a permanent Motor Drives Engineer position in our Philippines Advanced Manufacturing and RDD facility. Being part of a small but growing team working on the Dyson Digital Motor in the Philippines, this role combines supporting the existing family of Dyson Digital Motors and associated products with the analysis and validation of new motor projects in the runup to the start of production. This will involve characterisation, test and analysis of motors, power electronic drives and control systems to help to ensure that the final products meet their performance specification before and during the active production lifecycle.
Based in Dyson’s Philippines Advanced Manufacturing facility you will be joining the Dyson Motor Drives & Advanced Control (MDAC) team within the Dyson Global Electronics Hardware organisation. The MDAC team form part of the wider Motors and Power Systems Group and is a significant part of Dyson RDD with a growing team of more than 100 highly skilled engineers, scientists and technicians in its UK, Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines offices. The Group focuses on researching and developing cutting-edge electric motors, drives and control systems for integration into existing and future Dyson products from concept design to fully automated production.
About the Role
- Develop and maintain real time embedded software for our world leading Dyson Digital Motors and other advanced control systems. Develop software for test systems to enable automated production testing including motor production line tune and test and power electronics hardware test. This will involve independent working and close collaboration with other team disciplines in UK and SEA on the implementation and modification of novel control schemes within the constraints of low-cost microcontrollers.
- Contribute to software component development, driving their design, development, and validation though to mass volume production.
- Support the MDAC software team through software validation to ensure that all released software is fully functional and fit for purpose. This will include code peer review, emulator validation and full system validation.
- Document software requirements, design, implementation and test plans.
- Support the software team through the software release process and change management systems through the preparation of high-quality documentation of either your own work or that of others.
- Be responsible for embedded software aspects of failure analysis: completing root cause analysis of any failures of the motor or associated drive and control system at both product and motor level.
- Be able to apply your skills to other areas of work and tasks within the business as may be required of you on occasion for the benefit of the wider team. This could include, but is not limited to, supplier liaison for issue resolution or audit, engineering design work, test rig building and production equipment commissioning.
- Degree in Electrical/Electronic/Software engineering or equivalent qualification or demonstrable experience of equivalent-level working.
- Strong background in real time embedded C and Python.
- A good understanding of basic hardware and its interface with software systems.
- Software configuration management (source control, continuous integration).
- Ability to plan and estimate development tasks.
- Strong communication and team working skills to be able to form a bridge between multiple teams of different disciplines working on a single, integrated product across multiple global sites.
- Be able to clearly report progress in meetings together with producing a high standard of documentation.
- Some professional experience in a relevant industry.
- Experience with software verification strategies including unit testing.
- Experience with triaging of issues/problems and narrowing down to smaller components.
- Knowledge of low-cost microcontrollers to enable the selection and integration of the most appropriate device for any given application.
- Familiarity of low-level embedded microcontroller-based control and operation of brushless motors (e.g. permanent magnetic brushless DC motor, switch reluctance motor) and the topology of the motor drive hardware system to allow creativity in the implementation of motor control schemes.
- Knowledge of control systems and power electronics circuitry.
- Proficient in the use of LabView and Microsoft Visual Studio to be able to maintain existing and create new programs.
- Experience of working in a matrix organization and within an Agile framework. Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies and tools such as GIT.
- HMO coverage. Health & wellness is one of our priorities, immediately available for you & dependents so no waiting for employment regularization
- Up to 20 days annual leave based on employment service + 15 days medical leave
- Dyson product gift upon employment regularization, and discounts on Dyson machines
- Exposure to a broad and diverse range of Dyson activities from research through to manufacturing and global sales for Dyson projects
- Career development and growth in a global team
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
To apply for this job please visit careers.dyson.com.