Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
Our scale and rapid growth make Dyson rich in new opportunities. We value new ideas and diverse perspectives, so our people are trusted with real work and responsibility from the outset. You’ll develop fast and have the chance to move into different business areas and regions. And you’ll be part of a global network of like-minded people – a community that supports and learns from each other.
Power Systems is a global function that designs and develops Dyson’s internal technologies that enable most of our products. The team has experts in wide range of areas (mechanical, electrical, software, project management) and is responsible of the development from early stages through to production.
Mechanical Design team within Power Systems is responsible for mechanical design, build process, sample building, analysis, and experimental validation and verification of mechanical robustness and reliability of the technology project.
About the role
The position will be part of the Build & Test group responsible for the build and validation of Dyson Hyperdymium™ motors, the heart of Dyson machines. The candidate will work with engineers and scientists on multiple motor R&D projects. The role responsibilities will cover the following areas:
- Develop build equipment and test rigs for motor validation readiness.
- Ensure rigs are designed and controlled as per Dyson Test Method (DTM) or as per relevant industry standards (IEC, ISO, ASTM, etc.).
- Lead software developments using LabVIEW, Matlab, or other relevant programming languages.
- Design and develop test systems inclusive of simple holding jigs up to automated test system.
- Perform GR&R and other relevant commissioning activities for new and existing test systems.
- Ensure failures are captured during the verification and initiate steps for reporting and corrective actions (FMEA).
- Liaise with external suppliers on test rigs and build equipment fabrication/issues.
- Maintain the rigs and equipment in the lab ensuring calibration requirements, adequate storage and keeping in good condition.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Electronics engineering or other related engineering fields with minimum 5 years of relevant experience for senior position.
- Experience on measurement hardware and software for data acquisition, such as Arduino /Microcontrollers, MATLAB, PLC, Teststand and LabVIEW are preferred.
- NI certification such as CLD/CLA is preferred.
- Strong electronics background especially in power electronics, electromagnetics, and circuit design are preferred.
- Ability to use Minitab and generate statistical analysis. Experience in simple big data analysis and management.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills. Ability to clearly, concisely & confidently present & articulate ideas to larger peer group, often cross-category. Proficient in communicating ideas & concepts.
- Developing ability to tailor communication to suit different levels & persuade/influence others as needed. Ability to receive constructive feedback and coaching and respond appropriately. Able to provide constructive feedback.
- Must have strong willingness to learn new things and challenge the existing test methods to ensure that it is robust and accurate
- Exposure to working in a cross cultural and international team would be advantageous.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize key activities according to project deliveries.
- For senior and above position, demonstrate leadership on people management and/or leading a technically complex project completion.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
To apply for this job please visit careers.dyson.com.